top of page

Oxford County council purchasing Woodstock YMCA for homeless shelter

  • 4 hours ago
  • 4 min read

Oxford County is purchasing the former Woodstock YMCA property for $4.55 million, with plans to convert the site into a homeless shelter and support centre. It is expected to open in early 2008. (Lee Griffi photo)


Lee Griffi, Editor


Oxford County council has approved the purchase of the former Woodstock YMCA property on Dundas Street, with plans to convert the site into a homeless shelter and support centre.

The sale closes on May 29 for $4.55 million. According to realtor.ca, the property was listed for $5.69 million. It is expected to open in early 2028 following extensive renovations, the cost of which is not known. While all discussions and the approval of the purchase were made behind closed doors, the county held an emergency meeting on Tuesday afternoon after the story broke late last week, making the purchase public. Woodstock Mayor Jerry Acchione read a motion following a lengthy in-camera session.

“Moved by myself and seconded by Deputy warden Martin, that the verbal report of the warden be received and that staff be directed to implement the previously planned communication regarding the homelessness support centre and further, that the warden be authorized, at his discretion, to speak on matters containing closed session reports as it relates to the acquisition of the homelessness support centre property.”

Acchione added he supported the move to allow Warden Marcus Ryan to clear the air.

“I appreciate what’s going on right now on social media. There’s been a lot of accusations thrown around, and I appreciate the warden being able to speak to this if council so decides, as he sees fit.”

Woodstock city and Oxford County Coun. Bernia Martin seconded the motion and spoke to it.

“I enthusiastically support this motion and look forward to the communication that comes forward from it.”

That communication came in the form of a press release from county CAO Ben Addley and an additional statement from Ryan on Tuesday evening.

“This is good news for our community and a fundamental step toward getting more people the support they need to get off the streets,” said Addley.

“Working with our community partners, the building will offer emergency shelter services along with onsite supports that help people move safely inside, become stabilized and connect to the right form of housing. It will also be tied to the new HART Hub and Wellness Centre in Woodstock, a provincially funded facility that provides mental health and addictions support, along with other services.”

Grant Haven Media interviewed the warden on Wednesday morning, during which he said the closed-doors process had been approved by the county’s integrity commissioner (IC).

“It is absolutely normal municipal practice throughout Ontario, explicitly made legal in the Municipal Act, and we checked twice with our IC throughout this process to ensure we were doing it properly,” Ryan said.

He added taxpayers saved at least $580,000 by keeping the purchase confidential.

“That’s why we do that, to protect taxpayers' dollars. If we are going to purchase a property, we are going to do that in the most efficient way that we can. Municipalities go into closed session to say to their staff they would like to purchase a property, and here is the maximum number we would like to go to. Staff then have the ability to negotiate a purchase price.”

Ryan understands the property’s neighbours have legitimate concerns, but since the county will own it, they will be better equipped to manage the issues that go along with a homeless shelter.

“Homelessness, addiction and mental health issues are arguably the most important issues this term of council has had to deal with. If we don’t find a better way to deal with it, it’s going to get worse for everybody. The only option, other than this, is worse.”

The warden, who is not seeking re-election in Zorra Township, said homelessness wasn’t an issue he ever expected would be a part of his time as an elected official.

“But here we are. Without a doubt, the vast majority of Oxford and Woodstock residents will be better off with this homeless service centre.”

In his own statement, Ryan said a member of county council recently questioned the actions over the process involved in purchasing the building.

“The councillor stated that they were very concerned as an elected official. I couldn’t agree more; voting one way and saying the opposite is very concerning. On April 28, this member of council voted in public, in open session, to go into closed session to consider purchasing the former YMCA property for use as the homelessness support centre.”

While not naming her directly, Ryan was referring to Woodstock city and county Coun. Deb Tait who attempted to pass a notice of motion to implement public consultation before the sale of the building was finalized.

“Then, on the same day, the councillor voted, again in public in open session, to adopt the recommendations in report HS (CS) 2026-02 to purchase the former YMCA property for use as the (shelter). Council is here to make the tough decisions on the tough issues and be accountable. I have great respect for this councillor and every single member of council, and I believe without doubt that all of us are working to serve in this way.”

Tait also released a brief statement on Wednesday.

“We were all elected by the public. I firmly believe that the public's business should be done in a public forum with public discourse. A motion that states the recommendations in closed are adopted. That gives the public no chance to have their say. It also does not allow a councillor to speak to it as it is confidential information discussed in closed.”

She added when dealing with millions of dollars of taxpayer money as an elected official, they should err on the side of caution and be as transparent as possible.

“My motion for the public meeting, even though seven councillors voted to defer, served its purpose to bring the issue to the public.”

Comments


bottom of page