Legion celebrates its centennial across the nation
- Jul 15
- 2 min read

The Legion Ladies’ Auxiliary meals are one fundraiser for the organization. These popular events typically see every seat filled and are sold out. (Jeff Helsdon Photo)
Jeff Helsdon, Editor
Soldiers returning from the First World War brought with them both physical and emotional injuries, but received only limited support at home. As early as 1915, the first support groups were formed, including the Great War Veterans’ Association.
The initial purpose of these groups was to advocate for care and support for the returning veterans.
A year after the Armistice was signed to end the First World War, Canada celebrated its first Armistice Day on Nov. 11, 1919. In 1931, an act of Parliament changed the name to Remembrance Day.
In 1921, inspired by Canadian John MacRae’s poem In Flanders Fields, France’s Anna Guerin came up with the idea of selling poppies to raise funds to assist veterans. The GWVA adopted the idea.
The concept of amalgamating the various veterans’ groups started at the Unity Conference in 1925. That year the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League was formed. Incorporation followed in 1926 and was made official by an Act of Parliament passed on July 17, 1926.
Adjustments to the organization's name were made between 1959 and 1961, with the British Empire Service League being dropped and Royal added with the permission of Queen Elizabeth II.
Locally, the Tillsonburg Branch 153 was chartered in 1929, with Dr. R.E. Weston as the first president. In the early years, the Legion met in a variety of rented facilities. Then, after the Second World War, the number of members jumped from 70 to 170 in a year. A home was purchased at 30 Lisgar Ave as the first permanent Legion building in town. It was named Varnavair, a composite of veterans, army, navy and air force.
The Legion Ladies’ Auxiliary was formed in 1952. Changes in the Royal Canadian Legion membership structure in the 1960s allowed social and affiliate memberships. With the increase in membership, planning began for a larger facility at the current location on Durham Street. Construction started in 1969, and the building was opened in 1970.
Today, Branch 153 not only supports veterans, but also the community. The local branch sponsors minor sports teams, among other things, but is also still a gathering place for veterans and organizes Remembrance Day activities. And, true to its initial purpose, the branch holds a veterans’ coffee hour, providing an opportunity for those who served to gather and talk of their experiences.


Comments