OPP West Region Civic Holiday Traffic Campaign results: Police lay nearly 2000 charges
- 4 days ago
- 2 min read

Lee Griffi, Editor
West Region members of the Ontario Provincial Police laid 1815 charges following 2107 traffic stops across the region during the August long weekend campaign.
The operation, which ran from July 31 until August 3, focused on the negative driving behaviours that contribute to traffic collision deaths, injuries and property damage on our roadways. They include speeding, failure to wear a seatbelt, distracted driving and impaired driving.
The Oxford OPP detachment has seen the most traffic deaths in the region with 12 to date. While that number may seem high, there were 14 at this point in 2025.
Police also enforced Ontario's Move Over law, which is designed to provide emergency personnel with the safe space they need to assist motorists and perform other roadside work.
The infractions included 856 for speeding, 178 seatbelt charges, 14 for distracted driving, 45 impaired driving charges and 11 move-over infractions.
“Our officers will continue to educate drivers and make speed enforcement a priority in the communities we serve," said acting traffic inspector Tara Bolstad.
Oxford County OPP media relations officer Randi Crawford said the number of charges laid is very concerning.
“Absolutely, we are worried. We hope to always have low numbers, meaning we increase our patrols but genuinely find few people disobeying the rules of the road. It is always disappointing to see so many drivers still taking unnecessary risks.”
Despite the high number of infractions, Crawford does want to encourage those following the rules to keep it up.
“Our message to good drivers is thank you and please keep up the good work. Please continue to drive alert and be prepared to drive defensively. A driver needs to know what is in front, behind and around them at all times.”
Crawford’s message for those driving irresponsibly is also right to the point.
“Please stop taking risks. You are not only putting others at risk with your poor driving choices, but you are putting yourself at risk as well. You may have been lucky so far to avoid a collision, but you are not invincible.”
She added police do want to hear from motorists witnessing bad actors, but not on every occasion.
“Yes, please report. If it is a dangerous driving behaviour happening at that moment, such as a suspected impaired driver or dangerous driver, please call 911. If it is something that isn’t happening at the moment, for example a car that sped past you but you can no longer see where they went - if you were able to get the licence plate, you can call our non-emergency number at 1-888-310-1122 and report a traffic complaint. We record those occurrences and are often able to send a warning letter to the registered owner of the observed offence.
Crawford said motorists need to remember driving is a privilege and not a right.
“Reducing your risk of a collision comes down to three simple behaviours. Drive safe, drive smart and drive sober.”




Comments